Friday, May 25, 2007

new testament jerusalem walk

sites visited: broad wall (hezekiah's extension), temple (only the wall, of course), western wall (again), Muslim marketplace strets, via dolorosa for a bit, Ecce Homo arch, Lion's gate, pool of Bethesda and St. Anne's church.


This morning, our walk of the Old City focused mainly on New Testament sites, but also included one Old Testament site: Hezekiah’s extension. I don’t remember much from this site; it was the very first thing we visited, right after 8 o’clock. However, we did pass through some nice (?) Jewish residential areas, where Dr. Wright explained that many Jews were probably still sleeping—it was (kinda) the beginning of their Sabbath (which began tonight at sundown). We saw a few groups of small children headed to school, walking the streets in pairs or alone.

At the Pool of Bethesda, which we visited last on our 4-hour tour, I was excited to hear the deeper explanation of its corresponding biblical event. What always intrigues me about biblical stories is the “why?” behind the characters’ actions, so I love hearing the sociological, logical, archeological, geological, etc. explanations for various events. We were working from the text in John 5: a lame man was waiting to get in the pool, which was said to have healing powers. At this point, the man had been rejected by his family, faith, and community for 38 years—all due to the fact that his lameness had been caused by his (or his parents’) sin. As Dr. Wright explained, perhaps this man was beginning to check out other options for healing, one of which included sitting under rushing waters that were attributed to the worship of a healing god. (I forget the name of the god by this point in the evening.) I mean, I can understand the man’s sense of hopelessness and helplessness—it’s the compassion in me, I guess. I feel like this is what the church does to doubters, social outcasts, pregnant teens, and various other “sinners”—casting them out without attempting to understand them. Ultimately these people lose hope, sick and tired of the stares and patronizing tones from church members, and eventually they begin to seek other truth. This is why I’m so grateful for (and passionate about) the opportunity to participate in the reconciliation of the world—because Jesus didn’t leave the man, but instead approached him and healed him! [Perhaps this is the result of my specific lens of service and Jesus’ radical social subversive-ness, but I love to consider passages like this.]

A (fairly) big impression from today: the space to express gratitude. While we were waiting for another group to finish their tour at St. Anne’s Church (allegedly the site of Mary’s parents’ home—Anne, and her husband, whose name sounded very Jewish and I forget), we were sitting at the back of the church, quiet. I took this time to pray, and I finally felt grateful for this opportunity to study in Israel. I mean, I know in my head that I am deeply grateful, but I hadn’t yet felt that sense of gratitude deep in my bones. A calm also rushed over me—a peace, strength to continue the day. I was telling Ruthie later that that moment in St. Anne’s was the first time I felt I had the space for prayer since we’ve arrived. The experience—while not at what I consider a major location—was unexpected. But Sarah told us that our “spiritual insights” (her words, not mine) would come unexpectedly and at random sites, as had her own memorable impressions, I’m sure.

No comments: